tiistai 19. tammikuuta 2010

Hubs, Switches, Bridges and Routers

What a confusing old network there is at my my wife's workplace! She asked me to connect their intra into public net in order to allow e-invoices sent to the customers. It took long hours to illustrate and figure out cabling, DHCP/IP-settings and network component configuration options and methods.
I felt myself quite stupid because I couldn't get neither D-Link router nor various other boxes laying around to work. So I resolved the problem by installing a Linux box with two network adapters as a router. The old unused workstation easily run IP masquerading (NAT) and firewall. It might be shooting a fly with a cannon, but this is a way I have solved these problems for years. Thanks to Harri A., my former Nokia colleague, who once taught me to manage firewalls with Redhat5.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti