In the past Americans believed the 'whole Internet' == 'Yahoo welcome page'! The problem continues with different starting pages to the present days.
Now the whole mankind seems to think FaceBook's NewsFeed is THE INTERNET.
I'm pissed off. To me, it has become a big mess of all kind of stuff mostly from sources of news and commercials. I can't find there much messages from my friends any more. I know, my own fault.
I gradually has begun to go back to news-readers, chat, skype, irc, and so on, which I newer gave up.
But there is a possibility that FB can save the world. Or at least the information technology from disaster. You know: software bugs, viruses, trojans, mailspam, intruders, rootkits, sniffers... and mobile phones !
This is my proposal:
1. Since most people think FB is the INTERNET and FB is able solve any problem and has answer to any question, we must remove all other applications from the world. By doing that, we have only FB bugs left.
By my theory, nobody will notice this small change :)
2. FB's status field must be changed to Telnet-window which accepts only characters echoed to backbone system. This cleans up the mesh of multimedia and font chaos. The FB gets even more rewards for the improvements to clean up information flow. The users are forced to learn reading and writing skills, though.
3. Status update field will be chanced to accept only hexadecimal characters which forms SQL-command clauses through the system just right to the database directly. This may cause some resistance in some novice users, but hackers can sell consultation courses to those beginners. Half of the facebook application code (and troubles) are gone.
4. Mobility users are closed down by the new feature: The status updates from mobile devices are printed out by so small font that friends are not able to read. Commo'n.. mobile users can blame themselves, they have bought too small devices anyway, even without keypads.
5. Newsfeed-window can also be Telnet-frame. There are only textual information anyway (if nothing). And of course the Newsfeed-window could be the same window as the status field. Most IT-problems solved.
6. An improvement could be that irc, news-messages, chat and mail-messages could be redirected to different frames. And FINALY the users reach the level they always wanted. Everybody knows who to send and where the messages are from in controlled fashion.
7. Last step: Rest of the Facebook can be removed from the system.
quod erat demonstrandum
"A hacker - looking for the project manager for a new OpenSource project"